20080407

Love is near

27 “His purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him—though he is not far from any one of us. 28 For in him we live and move and exist. As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’ 29 And since this is true, we shouldn’t think of God as an idol designed by craftsmen from gold or silver or stone.
Acts 17


The word that saves is right here,
as near as the tongue in your mouth,
as close as the heart in your chest.
Romans 10


For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
...
But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
...
That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, ... for he is thy life, and the length of thy days ... .
Deuteronomy 30


I should perhaps note that the Romans 10 link is to Paul's explanation of the Deuteronomy 30 quotation. If you balk at my connection between the word of God and God, perhaps this from the beginning of John's gospel will explain:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.


If you wonder at my identity between God and love, most succinctly I will refer again to a part of a letter traditionally in John's name about Jesus:
7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
It is extremely clear,
then: Love is near.

13I bring near My righteousness [in the deliverance of Israel], it will not be far off; and My salvation shall not tarry. And I will put salvation in Zion, for Israel My glory [yes, give salvation in Zion and My glory to Israel].
Isaiah 46

No comments: