20090120

Why He Isn't a Very Good Friend

I have only really really liked a few musicians' work. I remember having an immoderate love for Tchaikovsky when I was a child. I grew to love Bach, Stravinsky, and Rachmaninov.

Then I hit puberty. Five years passed, during which little of note to our story occured, and then there was Evanescence.

I had known folks who fanatically followed, who changed their lifestyles to reflect the culture of the band. I never thought I would even come close to that level of commitment.

Oh, but Amy Lee's wistful soprano made short work of that. Although I didn't ever change my lifestyle, so began and enduring love of goth girls.

Then a friend of mine introduced me to Andrew Peterson, an explicitly Christian poet and novelist, whose primary expression is writing terribly, wonderfully true songs.

More recently, an unfriend of mine pointed out Priscilla Ahn to me for



a listen. While I don't think she'll turn out to be quite as major as Andrew or Amy, she definitely appeals to my weakness for dark haired women who sing.

Which is why my friend Chris is a bad, bad man. No one should have a haunting temptress lowered on himm like a boom.

So beware of Chris Newton. He might introduce you to some winsome singer who alters your worldview.

No comments: